Flood Insurance For Myrtle Beach Area Homeowners

The coast of South Carolina and North Carolina regularly receive damaging weather such as hurricanes, flash flooding, and torrential downpours. According to the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, such storms have caused more than $7 billion in damages over the past 12 years. If you’re asking yourself, do I need flood insurance?  As a homeowner, are you prepared to shoulder the burden of the high costs associated with flooding?  Just one inch of water throughout your home causes an average of $25,000 in damage.

At John T. Cook & Associates, we have more than 40 years of experience providing homeowners throughout the Carolinas with competent, competitive and caring insurance services, including flood insurance.

Request a Quote

Homeowners Insurance And Flood Insurance Policies

Your homeowners insurance policy most likely excludes coverage for damage resulting from flooding. So if you own a home, then you’ll need to add an additional flood insurance policy. This policy can cover:

  • Flood preparation costs
  • Damage to your home
  • Damaged appliances
  • Damaged goods, clothes and other belongings
  • Flood cleanup costs

Without flood insurance, you’d be left covering these expenses out of pocket.

Flood Insurance for Homeowners vs. Renters vs. Condo Owners

Do renters need flood insurance? What about flood insurance for condos? Flood policies come with two separate types of coverage: building coverage and contents coverage. If you own your home, then you need building coverage to pay for flood damage to the dwelling. You also need contents coverage to pay for damage done to the items inside your home. As a renter, all you need is contents coverage, as you are likely not liable for costs associated with the dwelling itself.

For condo owners, the necessary coverage is not always clear. Many condo owners find they need both contents and building coverage, while others need contents-only coverage. In these situations, it is best to speak with an agent who can help you identify your risks before you purchase your policy.  As locals to the Grand Strand, the independent agents at John T Cook & Associates are familiar with reading condominium bylaws and covenants to advise you on your risk.

Common Misconceptions About Flood Insurance and Federal Aid

If you don’t believe that your home needs flood insurance, we encourage you to reconsider— especially property owners and residents of coastal cities such as Myrtle Beach, Garden City, Ocean Isle, Loris and Conway. Every house is located in a flood zone, and approximately 30 percent of flooding occurs in homes categorized in the low- to moderate-risk zones. Even mild flooding that leads to only an inch of water in your home can lead to tens of thousands of dollars in damage. Finally, federal disaster aid is limited and must be repaid.

Contact John T. Cook & Associates for More Information

Whether you are looking for your first flood insurance policy or you have questions about changes to your policy under the Biggert-Waters Reform Act of 2012, reach out to our agents. We are happy to provide you with a free flood insurance quote and talk to you about ways you can make the cost of flood insurance coverage more affordable.

Contact Us

Not only are you a great agency (Myrtle Beach office) you are friendly, courteous and professional and always there when we need you.

Read More

Local Agent. National Support.

Correll Insurance Group offers the best of both worlds—you get to use a local, independent agent who lives in your town and knows you personally, but this agent is backed by a strong, national firm that’s been serving the Carolinas for more than 80 years. So you don’t have to choose between having a personal relationship with your agent and knowing your insurance has enough resources. You’ll get both with Correll.


John T. Cook & Associates is a member of the Correll Insurance Group, working together to bring you the best in coverage.  Visit corporate site to learn more.

Error Message